6.10.2011

Welcome To The World, Fern Adele!


It's been almost a month since I last posted--but for good reason-- we've had the baby! Welcome to the world, Fern Adele!

So better late than never...here's the official post: Weighing in at 7 pounds, 7 ounces and 19 inches long, our beautiful baby girl, Fern, was born at 12:49 p.m. on May 19th at our home and in the water under the loving care of an amazing team of midwives, doula and husband. My mom and Fern's big brother, Noah, were also present for the amazing occasion.

In short, the birth story is as follows . . .

I awoke to the "popping" sensation of my water breaking at 6:30 a.m. I showered and made blueberry banana walnut pancakes for the family. After we enjoyed a leisurely breakfast, the morning passed quickly as mom and Dean filled the birthing pool while I walked around the house breathing through light contractions and helping to prepare our home for the birth. My doula and midwife arrived at noon just as the contractions were beginning to grow uncomfortable. Active labor quickly began and after only a short time of working through increasingly strong contractions on my hands and knees, I felt Fern bearing down. Following a quick exam that determined I was 10 cm dilated, I entered the birthing pool. 20 minutes or so later, Fern was gently born in the water on her own terms without so much as a push! It was an amazingly peaceful and beautiful experience.

I have so many pictures to share but just no time to comb through them right now. All in good time, all in good time.

3 comments:

Harvest Kitchen Sisters said...

Congrats! I've been following your blog for quite some time and have been waiting to hear about your new baby. So happy for you and your family. Fern is a beautiful name.

Best,

amelia
http://theharvestkitchensisters.blogspot.com/

Rosanna =) said...

Congrats Joni, Dean and Noah!
What an amazing birth!

Johanna said...

what a wonderful and happy story Congratulations on your sweet girl being born!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin